What is Yoga?
As relevant today, as when Patanjali wrote the yoga sutras over two thousand years ago, time on a yoga mat will help you to cultivate self-awareness, wellness, and wellbeing on many levels. As a yoga teacher, I hope to encourage you to develop a yoga practice that creates new possibilities and empowers your mind, heart and body long after you have rolled up your yoga mat. This is the living, breathing gift of yoga.
What kind of Yoga do you teach?
In my yoga classes, I don’t aspire to follow a prescriptive Yoga lineage, which is defined like this or that. As a teacher and lifelong learner, I would rather guide you instead to plant seeds of positive intention, opening and change into mind and body to create a yoga practice that is boundless and resonates through all levels of your life. As the mind and body open to the infinite possibilities of yoga at source, you can start to enjoy and feel the positive benefits of coming to a yoga class through the rest of your life, regardless of the name put onto it.
Can anyone do yoga?
It truly doesn’t matter whether you are a complete beginner or a seasoned yogi – everyone at some point has a first or else many times of standing on a yoga mat and not knowing what to expect! My classes are warm, friendly and welcoming, with a wide range of people practicing from all walks of life. Yoga classes are open to everybody, regardless of your age, fitness level and/or physical condition. If you do have a health concern, you may want to discuss it with me beforehand so I can plan the class accordingly to meet your needs.
A yoga class will more often than not include:
- Physical postures or Asana to explore flow and stillness, and stretch, tone and strengthen mind and body
- Cleansing practices or Shatkarma to shift and release stagnant energy, discomfort and tension held inside us
- Breathwork or Pranayama techniques to enhance life energy, boost immunity and relax the nervous system
- Inward reflection or Pratyhara to sharpen and focus mental perception and concentration
- Meditation to cultivate insight and awareness